Wednesday 15 June 2016

rodos

A few weeks ago The American and I hopped on a plane at a god forsaken hour and flew to Rhodes. We booked a last minute holiday through Secret Escapes and swiftly found ourselves relaxing on the beach, soaking up the sun like lizards. I couldn’t not share parts of our trip with you so here is my first interlude into the life we found ourselves living on this sunny Greek island.


We’ve both been working pretty hard so our main aims for the holiday were to catch up on reading, get a tan before Jen and James' wedding and snooze under the Aegean sun. We successfully managed both and some more so came back two very happy little bunnies.



Our days revolved around food, swims in the sea and reading. I brought Victoria Hislop’s “The Sunrise” and can’t recommend it enough. Having devoured this I hijacked The American’s copy of “My Family and Other animals” by Gerald Durrell and found it brilliant. We were both taken by ITV’s recent adaptation of this beloved memoir and felt reading it on a Greek island made for quite the authentic experience. I wholeheartedly recommend both books for some lazy summer reading.





Our hotel was on the north side of the island and though a little windy (gale force in all honesty), we found it welcome relief from the blazing heat. On the Saturday we took a bus to Rodos and visited the Old Town. Though quite the tourist trap we loved walking the cobbled streets, snapping pictures of the billowing bougainvillea and picking out handmade crockery to take home. We also stumbled across the most wonderful little tavern called Ta Kioupia, a few streets back from the main tourist hubbub. We were greeted by the sweetest old man who spoke to us for as long as possible and recommended all sorts. I nicknamed him Georgiou and have now decided I’d like a cat named in his honour. Oh Georgiou. We feasted on grilled seafood and mountains of tzatziki. Perfection.  








I’ll be blogging about Lindos next, which is a beautiful village on the south of the island but for now, I’ll leave you with the sun setting.




L.

No comments:

Post a Comment