Sunday 12 November 2017

bookworm

I have always been a reader - not the type who would stay up all night under the covers or queue outside Waterstones all night long- but I have always read. I am not ashamed to admit, though my friends are horrified this is true, that I have never been a Harry Potter fan nor Tolkien either. Friends gasp in horror when I admit this little fact and they reel back and ask, "well, WHAT did you read then?!". My childhood was not filled with wizards, hobbits and dragons; it was filled with animals, accidental princesses and village gossip. I whiled hours away reading Dick King Smith (I truly believed I was Sophie for about two years) before graduating onto the likes of The Princess Diaries and then finally nabbing mum's trashy village gossip novels once she was done with them. I loved them all. 

Now, at the age of 25 I am a member of not one, but two bookclubs. Yes, it's a slight strain and feels like I have homework every night (which I haven't done tonight, gawddd) but it has revived my love of reading once more. Since I no longer have a train commute to work (I walk), I fill my time with podcasts and though I love this, I do miss reading. Hence the bookclubs - they are forcing me to read and read books I wouldn't normally think of picking up. So, drum roll please, I have a catalogue of books to recommend, just in time for whiling away these wintry evenings. 

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Circle by Dave Eggers
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer
Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo
A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle
And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood
Little Women by Louise May Alcott (for old time's sake)

I am in the middle of The Secret History by Donna Tartt and I'm loving it. It's not new (I think it was written in the early 90s) but I had never heard of it before. I'll let you know if I can finish all 700 pages before Bookclub #2 at the end of the month! 


Yes, that is my colour-coordinated bookcase... 


Happy reading!





L.  

No comments:

Post a Comment