Wednesday 1 November 2017

grown up banana bread

There are a few food and drink items that one matures to with age – coffee, olives, red wine – and banana bread has been one of those for me also. An odd one perhaps as most of my pals have been munching on that soggy bread since they were babies, but not me. I pin this down to two reasons; the smell of over-ripe bananas makes me gag and the mushy, wet consistency of a traditional bread leaves very little to be desired. However, I think I have found the perfect recipe which makes a light, fluffy bread still with a deep banana taste.

As with all banana breads you need to use brown bananas. I like to eat my bananas when they are firm…*ahem*… but when I have forgotten about a hidden away banana and it goes brown I now leap at the chance to make my banana bread.  

You will need:

2 brown bananas
140g caster sugar
140g softened butter
140g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs



(Mug of tea optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 180* and line a loaf tin with baking parchment. Cream together the sugar and butter until pale in color and light in texture. Add the eggs, one at a time and then combine the mashed bananas. Fold in the flour and baking powder mixture with a wooden spoon and pour into your loaf tin.



Pop on the middle shelf for 30 minutes. This may vary in time depending on your oven so check the mixture after 30 minutes and bake for an extra 5 if still wobbly to touch. 

Whether eaten for breakfast with Greek yoghurt or eaten as an afternoon treat, this banana bread with satisfy your needs and won't leave a soggy taste in your mouth! Next time I'm going to add some chopped walnuts to give it a bit more crunch - why not try blueberries too? 




Bon appetit!




L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment