Thursday 11 June 2020

gardening in june

And just like that it's June and we're halfway into the year. Now seems like a good point to update you with the garden. After a scorching May with no rain at all, the plants have grown plenty and the vegetable garden is beginning to take shape. Thankfully, we are now experiencing some cooler weather and hopefully a week of rain which will really help both my little garden patch in London and Dad's whole farm at home.

Let's start with the tomatoes and cucumbers. These are doing really well, though the cucumbers have fallen victim to snails however, Ian and I managed to overcome this with various repellents including sheep wool pellets which expand when wet and create a rough surface for the snails to slide over and egg shells. Unfortunately this didn't seem to repel them enough so we then built this rather large box around the plants, which has a copper strip around the parameter (which supposedly gives off a static shock when they get near) and we covered it in some leftover mosquito netting. I've now taken the netting off as they were growing so quickly and I didn't want to stunt them. So far, this concoction seems to be working... touch wood! 

The tomato have been very happy and are growing very quickly. They are just beginning to produce some flowers so I am hopeful for an abundant crop later in the summer. 


The cucumber plants are also flowering and are producing embryonic fruit which means they are female. These will need to be pollinated to set fruit so I am hoping all the bees flying around have been doing this! 


My next planter is looking a bit like a war zone and this is due to the pesky snails again. I think they enjoy living in the woven willow and despite all my efforts for picking them off and surrounding the plants with defence systems, they still manage to come out of the wood work. 


In both of these pots (an old fromage fraiche pot and an old milk carton, both complete with copper tap!), I have my runner beans, which were so successful last year. They have taken a very long time to germinate but are finally making a show. The one on the right has been nibbled somewhat but I am confident that now I have the milk carton protecting it, the rest of the plant with push through. I will get rid of the egg shells soon so I don't encourage any vermin (though the shells have all been thoroughly washed). At the front of the beans are some more lettuces which just started germinating this week. 


Under the netting is some redbor kale that I bought in seed form from Sarah Raven. These are slowly growing and did fall victim to the snails but I am hopeful that they are now safe and sound under their netting. They seem to be slow growers but are surely making progress. The basil is now flourishing and will hopefully fill up that space up to the overflowing thyme next to it. 



In the plastic pots, from left to right, there are: a sunflower, mixed cosmos, a courgette plant (the other one is in a much larger pot growing on nicely) and a geranium I managed to propagate. I'd like to replace all the plastic pots with terracotta ones soon but when I went to the garden centre last week the selection of pots was very limited. That will be my task throughout the rest of summer, to replace the plastic pots with nicer terracotta ones. Once everything starts to flower, I think think this section will bring a lovely flourish of colour. We have ample amounts of mint so alongside fresh mint tea, we will also be making mojitos!



My ladder was built by Ian two years ago and is a great way to make the most of vertical height. At the moment is is mostly filled with remainder tomato plants which I am hoping to bring home to my parents', whenever that may be. I've also got some sweet peas which need larger pots and caning and my spring onion trough, of which there are both white and purple varieties. 


Last of the vegetables are these butterhead lettuces which have taken on a red/purple shade, though I am assured they are green butterheads! These have done amazingly well on my kitchen window sill which benefits from strong sunlight for much of the day. We've already started eating them and I will continue to sow them throughout the season to make the most of them. I'd recommend lettuces to anyone trying to start small, or even easier cut and come again leaves. 



I would like more flowers in the garden and I am sure I will get there but at the moment I am a little limited with not having a car in London (and me needing to buy more pots and compost!). Ideally I'd like to buy a few large pots and fill them with various flowers. I saw a story on Gardener's World the other week where they visited a woman's garden which was solely made up of pots and it was spectacular! I also joined an online lecture with Aaron Bertelsen, head gardener at Great Dixter, who discussed how to grow vegetables and flowers in pots. Both situations were on small patios so I know it's possible with a bit of planning and dedication. 

Anyway, now I am rambling so I will leave it there. How is your garden growing?



L. 








No comments:

Post a Comment