Tuesday 18 August 2020

august in the garden

I've really got into my stride this year with the garden. Thankfully, Ian and I came back to London after a few weeks away to a garden bursting with life and produce. Despite batteries going in our sprinkler system, our friends had saved the day with regular visits with the watering can. Thank you!

It's amazing to see how much we've been able to do in pots on a really rather tiny patio area. Most things have been grown from seed (all of the vegetables and cosmos) and just a few plants have been bought. I've learnt from mistakes made last year; the courgette has been given its own large pot to grow in, with plenty of space around it and ventilation and the results seem to be good so far. I'm still getting a lot of male flowers but there are some female ones finally coming through bearing fruit. The tomatoes are much better than last year and I think the recent heatwave is to thank for that. I've read that some people have experienced tough skins with their crops but mine seem to have escaped this and are ripening nicely.






^^ Everything is bunched up because of the sprinkler system but now it's all back to normal - though I rather liked the jungle effect! 

My first foray into cucumbers has been exciting. The fruits are spiky and despite a few early bitter fruits, the rest are sweet and tasty. They are very very odd in shape (I'm not sure if that's down to me or growing conditions) but who cares once they're chopped up into a salad! They have grown like billy-oh so i've spent a lot of time with Ian tying them up canes and supporting the heavier branches with twine. Currently I have a bit of a glut so I'm making fresh raita to go with tonight's curry. 

The beans were late in and are producing but we haven't been able to taste test them just yet. I'm hoping in the next few days or so if we get some sunnier weather. Next to the beans is an abundance of basil. Truly, it is a jungle which wafts fragrant air in the evenings, making the patio a very nice place to sit in during the evenings. I find it extraordinary that just two plants grown from seed have been able to produce this much basil. I'm giving it to friends whenever I have the opportunity and will be making pesto later this week.


^^ Can you spot that bush of basil?! 

A shishito pepper is ready to pick as are a few Redbor kale leaves - the beginnings of a simple stir fry I think! 

Finally, the plants are all growing well and my cosmos as just beginning to flower. The packet said mixed cosmos but so far they only seem to be white. Regardless, they are very pretty and are growing quick enough for me to be able to pick them and enjoy them without taking too many away from the bees and butterflies. 





I'll be sad once the garden goes over when we head into autumn but at least then I'll be able to start planning next year's harvest! My plans are big! 



L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment