Tuesday 11 August 2020

hidcote manor

I feel somewhat reluctant to share this garden with you. It has been my most favourite place for many years and often one does not feel like sharing one's favourite place in order to protect it from being engulfed by the masses. But, seeing as my readership is very small, I don't think this will have too adverse an effect!

Hidcote Manor is perched high up in the Cotswolds above Chipping Campden with views out across to Warwickshire in one direction, Oxfordshire in another and back home towards Worcestershire in the other. My first memory of visiting Hidcote was when I was very little. Mum, my brother and I explored the gardens, raced up the grassy, hornbeam-lined avenue and dipped our fingers into the cool water fountain. My brother leapt across the Ha-ha, almost giving my mum and her friend a heart attack as we didn't know if there were spikes in its bottom but thankfully he emerged safe and unharmed. After, we picked raspberries in the next door PYO farm. Since that visit we have gone back every summer; I adore it. 

This summer I pre-booked some tickets (as this is the new norm now) and Mum, Ian and I headed over in the searing heat for this year's visit. Though a little wilder than previous years (the gardeners were all furloughed), it is still as magical and beautiful. My interest in gardens has grown tenfold in recent years and now I often wonder whether I missed my vocation as a gardener. Perhaps one day I can give it a go, once I've learnt a few more plant names. 






^^ Beautiful dahlias smiling up at us


Does anyone know what this is? Mum wasn't sure but they were like big clouds of bubblegum in the softest pink. 




Sunning ourselves in the heatwave!




^^ These phlox flowers were everywhere in all kinds of colours; lilac, as above, whites and hot pinks. We have some at home called Laura, which is very apt for Mum.





^^ This beautiful rambling plant was growing on the facade of the house - is it a clematis? The flowers were huge and trumpet like in both purple and cream. We had never seen it before so if you recognise it, please let me know! 

Another successful visit, despite the strange circumstances! 



L. 




No comments:

Post a Comment